The GoPro HERO9 Black is GoPro's flagship action camera for 2020 that offers an embiggened 23.6MP sensor that can record 5K/30p video to a single microSD card slot. It is the successor to the GoPro HERO8. Key features include:
- 23.6MP sensor records 5K/30p video and captures 20MP photos
- Records up to 100Mbps HEVC MP4 files to a single microSD media slot
- Connects to computers as webcam with 1080p streaming capabilities
- Waterproof to 33 feet and compatible with most GoPro hinge-style mounts
What 's Changed? The biggest change on the GoPro HERO9 Black is the ability to see a live preview on the camera 's front display compared to settings only on the GoPro HERO8. The camera is ever so slightly larger and houses an improved sensor that is capable of recording up to 5K/30p video. Unfortunately that video is still crammed into a 100Mbps codec, but GoPro still provides an option for higher quality H.265 HEVC formatting. Battery life is improved to around ~2 hours with a larger battery.
Same App & Shooting Options. GoPro 's smartphone apps remain largely unchanged for the HERO 9 camera and offer familiar features like Hypersmooth stabilization, TimeWarp, HDR photos, & night lapse video while letting users control shooting modes like burst & scheduled capture. Photos can still be captured in JPEG or GoPro 's RAW format.
Inputs & Outputs. There 's not a lot here. This camera offers just one method of connecting to the camera by default. The USB Type C port is used for charging or for adding on a number of “mod” accessories, and the camera does not offer any other means of inputting video or audio by default. No mod accessories are included with this rental.
Mounting FIngers. This GoPro is compatible with the same hinge-style accessories as GoPros past and does not require a frame or case thanks to the mounting fingers the tuck into the bottom of the housing. We include a basic mounting kit with this rental that comes with a GoPro buckle mount and tripod adapter.
Q & A
- Are previous-generation GoPro batteries compatible with this camera?
- No. The GoPro HERO9 features a larger, redesigned battery and previous generation GoPro batteries are not compatible.
- Does this camera have any native audio or video inputs or outputs?
- No. The only I/O interface on this camera is a USB Type C port for charging the camera or connecting various “mod” accessories. This rental does not include any mods and will not have any inputs or outputs for video or audio.